5 Steps for Branding through Social Media
The notion that you can manage your brand by simply disseminating your message on printed materials is an ideology of the past. Social media is changing the game for brand management. Monologues are being replaced with dialogues between customers and companies. Gone are the days that companies hold the traditional role as speaker and customers simply act as listeners.
Social media has changed the way businesses communicate door of communication – companies can now directly speak to their customers and ask for feedback or suggestions on their products/services. No longer does your company have to send out spam-like surveys to your customers’ emails or homes to generate feedback. Social media platforms provide a forum for customers to voice their opinions and concerns.
But the big overwhelming question that most companies are asking is: WHERE DO I START?
How do you use social media while still staying consistent and loyal to my brand?
I’ve crafted a list of five steps that your company should take for a successful social media campaign.
1. Craft a core message – Create an indestructible message that will survive today’s multiple social media platforms and remain relevant. Think of it like the game ‘Telephone’ – you want your users to remember your message no matter how many times it’s been shared on different social media platforms.
2. Become a visual storyteller – Develop content that is appealing to the eye. As cliché as this sounds it’s important that consumers can remember your brand. Develop a logo or online image/graphic that helps consumers recognize you in the marketplace. You shouldn’t need too many words or any at all for this – remember that people remember pictures, not words.
3. Engage in dialogue – You want to listen, learn, and participate in conversation with your customers. Sincerely solicit input from your customers to let them know you care. This will help them develop a trusting relationship with you and boost your brand’s image.
4. Use the right tools – Social media is free still so use the right tools to deliver your message. Employ platforms like Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin to establish your brand on the web. These channels will help facilitate communication, keep your brand relevant and establish your footprint online.
5. Monitor your sites and improve accordingly – Once you have developed your content make sure you are constantly monitoring your sites. Set up alerts for every time someone comments, replies or mentions your brands so that you can respond accordingly. It’s important that you show your customers that they are talking to you and not a brick wall. Your customers will provide you with feedback and suggestions – it’s important that you listen to what they have to say and make changes if necessary.
Social media will jumpstart conversations with your customers, allowing you a chance to understand their behavior, listen to their opinions and provide a lot of exposure for your brand.