Why Visual Content Is Key To Social Success
Social media revolutionized internet marketing, we all know that, so it is not surprising to witness the explosive growth of Visual Content in a world where mobile phones and social media are omnipresent.
Let’s take a look at this trend and see what we can learn from it !
Visual Content : it just works
It’s nothing new we already knew that content with images and videos was outperforming text only content by a landslide, our brain process visual information 60 000 times faster than text after all.
Sadly, for years the mobile platform had technical issues (difficulty to watch web videos, bad apps) but now the apps and the platform matured giving us a lot of tools to easily share content like that, as shown by Facebook’s amount of video from people and brands increasing 3,6 times year over year.
Its success also has to do with the way people use social media and the internet in general, most users are interested in short content they can check on their phones hence the need to diversify your content else people get bored and you lose engagement.
For example instead of posting only videos try to mix it up with pictures, if you only use the same type of pictures try to add captions or maybe use some infographics, varying your content is key.
This is the future
It would be a costly mistake to disregard Visual Content as just another buzzword/trend, if we look at the situation there is a text-based content saturation, everyone is writing but not everyone is reading. Most people simply don’t have time to pay attention to all the content available to them on the internet, that’s why using pictures and videos is so appealing:
- It easily gets the point across
- You can share it as you want and people love sharing !
- In most cases producing content isn’t that hard
- Your posts can go viral without you doing anything (well besides posting good content !)
That’s why almost systematically social media posts with the most engagement have a form of Visual Content, that’s why Pinterest and Instagram got so popular lately and this is only scratching the surface.
If you want to communicate information quickly and get the attention and engagement of your audience, you’ll pretty much have to use Visual Content.
What should you post?
Here are some common mistakes people make when starting with Visual Content :
- Rehashing content from someone else, that will negatively affect your brand in the long run
- Being too pushy either by asking your followers to interact with your content too much or spamming the same low-value content
- Posting the same type of content, trying something new, infographics, comics, memes, videos !
- Using huge/annoying watermarks
- Posting content that is not interesting to share
Visual content is about humanizing your brand and telling your customers that you understand them well, if you do it correctly you can expect strong engagement and loyal customers.
Here is a great guide from Quick Sprout on what kind of visual content you should be sharing and some great tips on how you can easily create it!